FCRA there are various categories of recipients of
foreign funds and FCRA has different stipulation for
each of them. The following sub-heads discuss the various
kinds of recipient and the stipulation laid down for
each of them:
or Charitable Organisation
NGOs or Charitable Organisations having a definite
cultural, economic, religious or social programme are
eligible for registration under FCRA. Once a FCRA registration
is obtained, such organisation can receive foreign
funds with obtaining any further approval subject to
other formalities of FCRA.
specified in Section 3
3 of FCRA specifies that the following persons cannot
receive foreign contribution:
candidate for election;
(b) correspondent, columnist, cartoonist, editor, owner, printer or publisher
of a registered newspaper;
(c) Judge, Government servant or employee of any corporation or any other body
controlled or owned by the Government;
(d) member of any Legislature;
(e) political party or office-bearer thereof;
(f) organisation of a political nature as may be specified under sub-section
of section 5 by the Central Government;
(g) association or company engaged in the production or broadcast of audio
news or audio visual news or current affairs programmes through any electronic
mode, or any other electronic form as defined in clause (r) of sub-section
(1) of section 2 of the Information Technology Act, 2000 or any other mode
of mass communication;
(h) correspondent or columnist, cartoonist, editor, owner of the association
or company referred to in clause (g).
The above mentioned person cannot receive foreign contribution subject to certain
exceptions specified in section 4 which are as under:
(a) If they receive foreign funds by way of salary, wages or remuneration for
(b) If they receive payment in ordinary course of business transaction in India
by such foreign organisation or source.
(c) If the funds are received in the course of international trade or commerce
or in the ordinary course of business transacted outside India.
(d) Payment is received as an agent of a foreign source or organisation in
relation to any transaction made by such foreign organisation with the governance.
(e) If the payment is received by way of gift or presentation as a part of
any Indian delegation within the norms of acceptance described by Central Government.
(f) Payment is received from relative staying abroad.
(g) Payment is received through official channel, post office or any authorized
dealer in the ordinary course of business”.
(h) by way of any scholarship, stipend or any payment of like nature:
of Political nature
of political nature cannot register itself under FCRA
and they are not eligible to receive foreign contribution.
The Central Government has published a list of organisations
which are considered as organisation of political nature.
List of such organisations is given in Annex. 1
Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act is applicable
to private individuals also. The definition of person
includes- individuals, Hindu Undivided Family, Association,
a Section 25 company.
Organisations engaged in commercial/business activity
of foreign funds in the normal course of commerce and
business is outside the purview of FCRA. Therefore,
business organisation need not worry about FCRA as
FCRA is only internal security enactment. However,
the provision of Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999,
which is a financial legislation, would be applicable.
List of Organisation which are considered as Organisation of Political Nature
No. Name of the Organisations
1. All India Kisan Sabha (AIKS) 4, Windsor Place, New Delhi.
2. Bhartiya Khet Mazdoor Union, 4, Windsor Place, New Delhi.
3. All India Trade Union Congress, New Delhi.
4. All India Kishan Sabha (AIKS) 4, Ashoka Road, New Delhi.
5. Centre for Indian Trade Unions, 15, Talkatora Road, New Delhi.
6. Bhartiya Mozdoor Sangh, Ram Naresh Bhawan, Pahargunj, New Delhi.
7. Indian National Trade Union Congress, 4, Bhai Veer Singh Marg, New Delhi.
8. United Trade Union Congress Lenin Sarani, Calcutta.
9. National Front Indian Trade Unions 10, Government Place East, Ezra Mansion,
10. All India Federation of University & College Teachers Organisations,
11. All India LIC Employees Federation, Bombay.
12. All India Bank Employees Federation, Delhi.
13. All India Defence Employees Federation, Pune.
14. All India State Government Employees Federation, Hyderabad.
15. All India Railwaymen’s Federation, New Delhi.
16. All India Railway Worker’s Federation, New Delhi.
17. Bhartiya Railway Mazdoor Sangh, Mumbai.
18. All India Loco Running Staff Association, Lumding, Assam.
19. All India Federation of Electricity Employees, Residency Road, Sadar, Nagpur.
20. National Federation of Post & Telegraph, Employees (K.L. Moja Group).
21. Trade Union Coordination Centre, 28, Gurudwara Rakabganj Road, New Delhi.
22. Progressive Labour Union, Durgapur, West Bengal.
23. Kerala Trade Union Front, Chettiangadi, Trichur.
24. Swantantra Thozilali Union, State Muslim League Office, Calicut.
25. Swantantra Thozilali Union, Mavoor, Calicut.
26. Labour Progressive Federation, Arivagam, Rayapuram, Madras.
27. Anna Thozhir Sangha Peravani, Madras.
28. State Central Labour Union, Srinagar.
29. Sarva Shramik Sangh, Mumbai.
30. Bhartiya Kamagar Sena, Mumbai.
31. National Labour Co-ordination Council, Calcutta.
32. United Trade Union Congress, Bipin Behari Ganguly Street, Calcutta.
33. National Labour Organisation, Ahmedabad.
34. All India Student Federation, New Delhi.
35. All India Youth Federation, Delhi.
36. Student Federation of India, 11, Windsor Place, New Delhi.
37. Democratic Youth Federation of India (CPM), 11, Windsor Place, New Delhi.
38. Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad, Mumbai.
39. All India Democratic Student Organisation 48, Lenin Sarani, Calcutta.
40. Comsomal, Calcutta.
41. Revolutionary Youth Front, 124/C, Lenin Sarani, Calcutta.
42. Progressive Student Union, Calcutta.
43. Progressive Democratic Students Union, Hyderabad.
44. Radical Student Union, Hyderabad.
45. Punjab Student Union.
46. All India Sikh Students Federation, Amritsar.
47. West Bengal Chhatra Parishad, Calcutta.
48. National Federation of Indian Women, New Delhi.
49. Nikhil Banga Mahila Sangha, Calcutta.
50. Islamic Study Circle, Red Cross Road, Opp. Hazi Masjid, Maisuma, Srinagar.
51. Awami Action Committee, J & K.
52. J & K People’s League, Srinagar.
53. Tribal Front, Agartala.
54. All India Muslim Majlis –e- Mushwarat, E-3, Abul Fazal Enclave, Okhla,
55. Tabligh Jammat, Bangle Wali Masjid, Nizammudin Basti, New Delhi.
56. Citizens for Democracy, New Delhi.
57. Nag Vidharbha Andolan Samiti, Nagpur.
58. Marathwada Janata Vikash Parishad Saraswati Bhavan, Sikshan Prasarak Mandal
College, Aurangpura, Aurangabad.
59. Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti, Sahar Samiti Karyalya, Jalti Math, Near Kapil
theatre, Kirloskar Road, Bangalore.
60. The Kannada Paksha, 31, Nanje Gowda Road, Mavalli, Bangalore.
61. Dravida Kazhagam, Periyar Thaidal, 50, EVK, Sampath Road, Madras-7.
62. Tamilnadu Toilers Progressive Party, Madras.
63. The Neelchakra, Dolamundai, Cuttack.
64. Dalit Panthars, Wadala, Bombay.
65. Dalit Panthara, Bhawani Path, Pune.
66. People’s Union for Civil Liberties, 8, Sahayog Apartments, Mayur
Vihar, Phase I, New Delhi.
67. People’s Union For Democratic Right, Qr. No. 4, IP College, Delhi
68. All India Insurance Employees Association, Calcutta.
69. All India National Life Insurance Employees Federation, Bombay.
70. National Federation of Indian Railwaymen, New Delhi.
71. Institute of Indian Labour, Calcutta.
72. National Federation of Posts & Telegrah (Shashi Bhushan Group), New
73. Indian National Plantation Workers Federation Dibrugarh, Assam.
74. Anand Marg, Calcutta.
75. Proutist Universal, New Delhi.
76. Volunteer Social Service, Allahabad.
77. Seva Dharam Mission, Varanasi, U.P.
78. Education Relief and Welfare Sector, Panditya Road, Calcutta.
79. Anand Marg Universal Relief Team, Calcutta.
80. Universal Proutists Student Federation, New Delhi.
81. Jamat –e- Islami Hind, Dawat Nagar Abdul Fazal Enclave, Okhla, N.
82. Rashtriya Swayam Sewak Sangh, Hedgewar Bhavan, Nagapur.
83. Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandak Committee, Golden Temple, Amritsar.
84. Delhi Gurudwara Prabhandak Committee, Mata Sundri Lane, New Delhi.
85. Anjuman Nasrat-UI-Islam, Srinagar.
86. Jammu & Kashmir Muslim Auqaf Trust, Zero Brigade, Srinagar.
87. Jammu & Kashmir Muslim Auqaf Trust, Srinagar.
88. All India Peace and Solidarity Organisation, K. 1/16, Chitranjan Park,
Main Road, New Delhi.
89. Indian Society for Cultural Co-operation and Friendship (ISCUF/CPI), 1,
Lady Harding Road, Opp. Marina Hotel, Connaught Palace, New Delhi.
90. All Indo Korean Friendship Association, New Delhi.
91. Indo-China Friendship Association, New Delhi.
92. National Federation of Progressive Writers, 110, Kansal Bhawan, K.G. Marg,
93. Revoked vide SO.824(E).
94. Iranian Students Islamic Association (ISIA) or Union of Iranian Students
Islamic Association (UISIA), Bangalore.
95. Indian Youth Congress (I), New Delhi.
96. National Students Union of India (I), 5, Raisina Road, New Delhi.
97. Yuva Janata, New Delhi.
98. Janata Yuva Morcha, New Delhi.
99. Tamir –e- Millat, Hyderabad.
100. Student Islamic Movement in India (SIMI), 151-C, Zakir Nagar, New Delhi.
101. Student Islamic movement In India (SIMI), Aligarh.
102. Mahase –e- Azadi, J&K.
103. Jammat Ahle-e-Hadis, J&K.
104. Rashtra Sevika Samiti, Wardha, Maharashtra.
105. Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), Bombay.
106. Hind Mazdoor Sabha, Bombay.
107. Yuva Lok Dal, 3 Pt. Pant Marg, New Delhi.
108. Dal Khalsa, Chandigarh.
109. Jamat Ahle Hadis or All India Ahle Hadis, 4116 Ahle Hadis Manzil, Urdu
110. Jammat –e- Islami, Bulbul Bagullah.
111. Deeni Talimi Council, Lucknow.
112. Islamic Welfare Trust, PO Omessary, via Kottuwalli, Calicut Distt.
113. Orissa Gramin Mazdoor Sangh, Santapur Bhubaneswar Distt. Puri (Orissa).
114. All India Confederation of Bank Officer Organisations, Pandyan House,
Ferere Road, Bombay 38.
115. Iqbal Memorial Trust, Bemina, Srinagar, Kashmir.
116. All Assam Students Union, Gauhati University Campus, Jhalukhari, Gauhati,
Kamrup District, Assam.
117. Assam Jatiyabadi Yuba Chhatra Parishad, Silpukuri, Gauhati, Assam.
118. All India Railway Employee Confederation, 26/12, Railway Colony, Kishanganj,
119. Kisan Seva Samiti, Chhatarpur, M.P.
120. Ishaat –e- Islam Trust, 1353, Chitli Qabar, Delhi.
121. A.K. Gopalan Bhavan Trust, 27-29, Bhai Veer Singh Marg, Gole Market.
122. Indian National Plantation Workers Federation, Suit 125, 25A, Park Street,
123. William Carey Study and Research Centre, Calcutta.
124. All India Agricultural Workers Union, 12 B, Feroze Shah Road, New Delhi.
125. All India Democratic Women’s Association.
125A. All India Democratic Women’s Association, 23, Vithal Bhai Patel
House, Rafi Marg, New Delhi.
126. All India Milli Council, 161/32, Joga Bhai, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi-25.
127. All India Youth Leaque, 62 North Avenue, New Delhi.
128. Damdami Taksal, Gurudarshan Prakash, Chowk, Mehta, New Delhi.
129. Akhand Kirtni Jatha.